Various kinds of pizzas are named after the places or cities where they originated or were created first. Examples of such are Chicago Pizza, Detroit Pizza New York City Pizza etc. All of these have distinct flavouristic specifications based on little variations in the recipes or the method of making. NYC pizza is amongst the most recognised and popular pizza styles. However, New York City is a hugely vast and populated place, divided into many counties, boroughs and towns. Brooklyn happens to be one of them having a specific pizza style name after it.
Brooklyn-style pizza is a deliciously unique and vibrant pie that reflects the charms of the place it is named after with its savoury burst of flavour. The Brooklyn-style pizza is said to be inspired and evolved from the widely recognized New York City Pizza.
Brooklyn Style Pizza Specifications
As mentioned above, Brooklyn-style pizza is developed from and is quite similar to NYC-style pizza. However, there are also certain distinctions present that distinguish one from the other. These are simple but significant differences capable of transforming the entire taste and feel of a pizza.
- The dough for Brooklyn-style pizza is hand-tossed similar to the NYC-style pizza dough. It is then hand-stretch to acquire the desired size of the pizza which is also the same as NYC-style pizza, ranging between 18 to 45 inches. It is then covered with tomato sauce and garnished with dry and great mozzarella. The amount of mozzarella used in Brooklyn-style pizza is higher than that used in NYC-style pizza.
- The crust is also a distinguishable part of it. If you want less dough than the normal hand-tossed pizzas offer but still more than what the thin-crust pizzas provide. Then Brooklyn-style pizza is the perfect choice for you. The crust of the Brooklyn pizza has another distinct element. Which is the addition of cornmeal to make the crust crispier than normal. The crust despite being thinner is baked in more fat to achieve the desired crispiness. Hence Brooklyn Pizza can technically not be called healthier than other normal hand-tossed pizzas.
- The cheese and tomato sauce are the two constants that remain the same in Brooklyn Pizza like any other pizza. It uses cheese in the form of a blend of mozzarella and provolone, unlike other normal pizzas that are mostly 90% mozzarella. It uses a 55% to 45% ratio with provolone being slightly higher than mozzarella, giving the pizza its unique, strong taste.
- The toppings can vary according to the customer’s personal preferences and tastes. However, the most commonly used toppings on it include garlic, mushrooms, black olives, pepperoni, sausages, onions, green peppers, basil leaves and meatballs.
- An important distinction with this is that it is cut in square-shaped slices, unlike the standard triangular pizza slices. This is because square slices are not as easily breakable as triangular ones and Brooklyn-style pizza is prone to breaking easily because of the thin and crispy crust.
- Brooklyn pizza is cut into six large slices, unlike the normal eight triangular slices for a medium-size pizza. Similarly, the large is cut into twelve square slices instead of sixteen triangular ones.
- Brooklyn-style pizza is not eaten the standard way with a fork and knife. Instead, fold the slice in half and eat with just your hands and mouth for a mix-up burst of flavour of all the ingredients at once.